Use these winning strategies and best practices to help to increase the number of women in your programs.
Do you have fewer female students than you would like in your technology and trades classes? Do women and girls drop out of the your technology classes without finishing the program?
What you get in the Best Practices CD:
“You won’t find this kind of information anywhere else. I highly recommend this CD to anyone who is serious about attracting more women into technology education. ”
~ Dr. Peter Woodberry, Dean, Business and Technology, Community College of Rhode Island
Create outreach materials and events that appeal to women, attract coverage from local media, and learn retention strategies that will help ensure that your female students finish their programs.
The CD includes invaluable how-to advice, real-life examples and sample materials you can easily tailor to fit your own school or program's needs. Content highlights include:
- Recruitment strategies that work: Choose from a rich menu of recruitment strategies, including more than fifty examples of brochures, flyers, agendas, news articles, web pages and college catalogs.
- How to get press coverage: Learn from real examples of press coverage for women in technology events, plus tools for scoring free coverage for your own school.
- Throw a career expo that students can’t resist: Generate interest in your program with a Women in Technology Career Expo. Video footage and photos from a successful event attended by over 100 women will help you with developing your own career expo.
- Get more female students in the pipeline: Use proven strategies to recruit high school students, so you’ll have a pipeline of women and girls leading to your technology programs.
- Help ensure your female students finish the programs they start: Learn the reasons why women drop out, and the powerful retention strategies you can implement so they don’t.
- Work with a team for maximum success: When you have other educators on board, you’ll be even more successful in increasing the number of women and girls in your programs
- Measure your progress with the included checklist
“We take great pride in recruiting and retaining women in our technology programs here at CCSN. In fact, we've already successfully implemented many of the strategies we learned in your workshop two years ago. But the ideas and examples in your new CD show us we can go much further -- I can't wait to share this valuable resource with our faculty and staff!”
~Warren Hioki, Associate Dean, Community College of Southern Nevada
About the WomenTech Best Practices CD:
A roadmap to increasing the number of women in your programs
Based on best practices culled from the three-year, National Science Foundation-funded WomenTech Project, this information-packed CD will help you develop a successful blueprint for boosting the number of women in your school or program.
Best Practices from the WomenTech Project features tried and true tactics used successfully at three diverse demonstration sites: Community College of Rhode Island, North Harris Community College District in Houston and the College of Alameda in California.
- Use this CD with Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, or 7 (with current updates)
- Best viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above
- Best viewed at a screen resolution of 800 x 600
- To view the video, download the latest QuickTime Reader: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
- To view PDF documents, download the latest Adobe Reader: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Sorry, this CD is not Macintosh compatible.